Saturday 20 May 2017

Wiring for a wall light

One of the things that stopped my work on the house in the first place all those months ago was faffing about how to put in wiring for the wall lights in the music room.  Normally all ceiling light wiring just runs along grooves in the floor and exits directly through the back wall, fires are often easier as they are generally on the back wall and they just go straight out and any wall lights I have had also went on the back wall; so this was the first time I was tackling interior and exterior side wall exits.

Obviously a hole through the wall and the wires going through to the other side wasn't the answer as one would now be in another room and the other one would be on the outside of the building.  They still needed to be concealed and somehow get to the back of the house.


The obvious and probably the best answer is to just add a false wall - thick card or foam board or material of choice.  Decorate and add your light put it in your house with the wires sandwiched between this false wall and the one already there. Taking them to the back wall as usual.  Me?  I have to be different!  I wasn't happy with the double front edge at the front of the house.  I am sure paint and/or trims would solve this but then I fretted that those rooms would still somehow look different.  Twerpy I know.


So my two final solutions were very similar.  First drill a hole for the wire where the light is going..... eventually.  Make a groove down the wall on the other side, drill a hole below that groove and back through to first side. Then cut a groove across the floor and drill hole to exit the back of the house to join the other wiring.


The fiirst picture shows the music room side where the light will be.  You can see a 'test wire going through the hole, it then runs down a groove on the library wall side and comes back through a hole at the bottom of the wall back into the music room.  It then follows a groove in the floor ans exits through the back wall.  The wire running down the wall in the library doesn't matter as there will be shelves hiding it.



testing with spare wire
The outside wall was more of a concern.  I followed the same convoluted hole and groove plan but what to do about tidying up a visible wire on the outside of the project?  First thought was -  it is the side of the building and no-one goes there, just apply tape and paint.  Then the obvious solution struck.... I will just cover the side walls with brick paper.  I just need to be able to get a decent red brick match to the Stacey bricks on the front and it should look fine.



outside wall, two lines scored with box knife


gouging out MDF to make the groove


testing the wire fits in snugly

The next picture shows where the wires on these wall lights will end up....


the cluster of wires shows how I am working my way upwards floor by floor


I label each wire and do a test of each one before the final fit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a note about detail.

Not only am I a fusspot about detail but I actually enjoy trying to get all the small stuff right.  Lights and rugs are pains to find and ...... door knobs!

In the main they are the simple brass round knobs and that's that but, in real life, how many times do we encounter those sort of door handles/knobs?  Hardly ever.  Sadly on this level of the house I have had to resort to them as that's all I had; otherwise they would have held up the rest of the progress whilst waiting for a dolls house fair two months away to find something better.  Luckily they are the screwed bar type so if I do find better I can always struggle and change them in situ.


This floor - not happy with these, always think they look too big and too shiny

Basement - nice modern handles from ELF

Ground floor - the right scale and not too shiny and a 'proper' door knob shape 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bit of a footnote on the lines of ......do as I say, not as I do.  I had a clean up today in the hive and was horrified to see how lazy I had been when working.

This is the cutting mat I use for cutting!  No surprise there then.  The old paint marks are from way back when I knew no better.





I also have a silicone oven mat for gluing and painting on - perfect as it takes a couple of minutes in soapy water and it is spotlessly clean again.  It resides on top of my cutting mat because I do more gluing and painting than I do cutting.

Just look at the state of it..............

covered in knife slashes

........ too lazy to move a mat aside when I want to cut something!!







(29/04/17)





7 comments:

  1. "Good things come to those who wait", and it appears that this old adage was right! Your solution to the wiring is Tops, Marilyn! :D
    Love the new well chosen door handles; it's those little extras that always seem to take a build to the next level. But while I'm at it, the close up of your painted woodwork is Amazing- your silicone painting mat has certainly proved it's worth- a Beautiful Paint job as befitting this Beautiful house!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh Elizabeth, how kind from someone who definitely knows how to weild a paint brush. As always in this game you never really think that what you do is good enough.... could do better is always the comment hanging over my head so that's nice to think that you think its OK. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I don't think there's a single dollshouse owner who doesn't fret over wires. They are a pain to conceal and you get the added bonus of freaking out if a light goes off, wondering if you have to dig the wires back up. Ugh. As for door handles, don't you think it's about time the big manufacturers bring out something less brassy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, all my wiring is done with the notion of having to 'get to a light' some day. Utterly potty as every time I finish a house it moves on to a new owner. Hope they are grateful ☺️ As for brass knobs! These were victorian onwards, in the main. I have lived in thirteen homes and have never encountered a single one! So having a wider choice would be really nice.

      Delete
  3. Hello Marilyn,
    Every time I plan a room I always get excited and feel creative and happy...until I remember I have to incorporate wiring. I must say you thought it out very well. I am lucky as the brasy doorknobs work well in my manor, but I don't underwstand why manufacturers do not add more modern details to their catalogues when they are so in demand. I think much of the hobby has stayed trapped in period styles, even though newer modern designs seem to be the way of the future. Here's hoping it will come soon.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose realistically we mini folk make such a huge range of projects it isn't possible to cover it all and even mini world has to be profit driven or no-one would make stuff. I forget all that pragmatism when frustrated by not being able to find just what I want. Three year old tantrums ensue. The hobby is certainly Victorian led, then Georgian, then Tudor, after that it is a case of if you want it then you'd better make it yourself. That said we have ELF and Delph over here that do fabulous modern stuff. My top floor will be a modern apartment so look out for those. Marilyn

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.