Saturday 25 November 2017

The kitchen goes in and grumbling goes on

 There will be a considerable amount of grumbling in this post for which I apologise in advance.  This blog is supposed to be my own record/journal/diary of this build and should, therefore, try to be recorded warts and all.  This week there are many warts.  Sharing them is no bad thing as they may serve to remind someone here and there not to do the same.

Let's start with nice!  Here are two more pieces for my bedroom from Elf Miniatures.  There is a small table to be used as a desk and a bedside cabinet to match the three piece bedroom suite I had already bought.  The drawer does open and the finish is lovely.



The desk is to sit in the dormer window space so it was made specially for me so I could have an exact fit.




Bedroom wart:  I do wish I had thought to cut the wallpaper so that the trees didn't have their heads chopped off where the wall joins the ceiling.



When the roof is down this is what you will see through the dormer window.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's wart away in the kitchen.


I tried to improve the tiles by adding a thin card paper trim down the side as they would have a trim in real life.  I also coated them with a triple thick glaze which is something of a pain to apply to a large area.  I do commend it to you if you have a clock face or something like that which you would like to have the appearance of being covered in glass.  It works really well and even gives that nice domed effect that clock glass has.  It works best by dropping a generous amount into a space and letting it settle




The tiles were them re-scored carefully and I kidded myself they looked better for it and they were put in place.


The left side of the kitchen is a double wart wall.

Wart number one:  Why, oh why after making the boob of putting in trim in the bedroom and then realising I should have put the false door in first did I then go on to trim the kitchen and then add the extractor fan!  I didn't even realise it until everything was in place and then the penny dropped the extractor does not go to the ceiling it only goes to the coving!!!!!!!!  I can''t face removing and fixing right now so there it will stay for a while.

Wart number two:  the tiles most decidedly need to go up to the fan and not just be a strip along the worktop.


Can you now spot wart three which resides on the right hand side of the kitchen?....yup, I stopped the tiles below the cupboards again and it looks odd.  I now have the job of having to fit some perfectly between the shelves - such fun, not!


Wart four is really more of a giant carbuncle which will be really hard for me to ignore.  If I have a particular feature or something I am fond of, like a a really nice fireplace or piece of furniture I learned very early in my dollhousing life to make sure it got placed pretty much back and centre of a room, so it could be admired by the large human.  Here I have made some lovely Elf units and terrific sink and cooker and microwave and wonderful resin counter tops and then carefully slid them all in sideways in a pokey room on the rooftop floor which is hard to see any way, so they are now pretty much unviewable.

Here endeth the lesson for this week  Think and plan, think and plan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have mentioned many times that my blog appears regularly each week on Saturday because I do a bit of work on the house and then write about it, so in a good week with lots of bits being done I might get two or three posts written and banked.  I have had as much as three months worth waiting to appear.  Sadly RL stuff has been getting in the way of late and so I am now all out of work and writing.  I will do my very best to get something done on the house next week and get a post to you on time and make it a happy one.  I just thought I would add a footnote in case Saturday came along and I didn't appear.

Thank you to all who comment here and to those who also email me.  It is always lovely to hear from you and to know my mini passions are also enjoyed at some level by others.  Basically it is lovely to share with such gentle souls.




14 comments:

  1. Hello, Marilyn! It is very difficult to express yourself clearly when I use Google translator. Perhaps the situation with tiles will improve if it is a bit on the side wall? For example, stairs. It will be more logical, maybe. And I like everything else. The legs of the table can be shortened. Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia I will mess about with the tiles some more when I get the chance and am sure they can be made better as you suggest. Marilyn

      Delete
  2. :-P You are much too hard on yourself. I've learned that making a house can take me years. Often, if I take a lengthy break during construction, I will come back and look at it with new eyes and rip out some work that took hours. No one who looks at the house can understand that, they don't notice small imperfections, and they can't see the picture in your head. Most annoyingly, when I make a big blunder, my husband who is an engineer will walk past and say 'I could have told you that.' The most important thing is that we enjoy the process. I know that your house will become stunning as it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Megan. You are so right on all counts. You can get in too close and obsess about silly stuff. Partly in my nature and partly because it is a solitary hobby so only me to listen to about it except for the passing 'expert' - aka husband who asks if i intended to do this or that....error!! Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Hi, Marilyn.
    Perhaps your apartment dweller would like to have something other than tiles to look at over the sink. If you don't want to do the picky tiling, you could hang kitchen tools or a tiny ornamental shelf. I have been enjoying watching your build and do appreciate the tips and warts. Thanks for sharing. Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelley, Yes I think the 'dressing' will hide a multitude of sins so I must step back and just let it happen I think. Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Seguro Marilyn que encontrarás como solucionar la falta de azulejos, la cocina es fantástica, como te dice Shelley con adornos pasará desapercibido no tener azulejos. Feliz fin de semana,besos:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog and look forward to your posts, I myself am working on a Dalton house but as always with me, without as much care and patience as yourself!!! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kitchen looks amazing even with a side view and even without the tiles going all the way up. I wonder if a mirror to fill the space above the sink tile would look good. They do that in small homes here in the Northwest part of the US when there is no window above the sink. Might be worth a try. For above the stove tile, maybe add more tile sheet, then on the seam add a strip of aluminium. Then add a utensil hanging bar such as the ones made by Mini Fanaberia. That might make it look completely intentional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big thanks Jodi for liking it. I hate not having a window in front of the sink - no idea why other than habit of a lifetime. Indeed just refused a lovely new build house because I would be looking at a wall. Great believer in mirrors for bringing interest and light so will think about that one. Thank you for fabulous link - she is on a break right now but I will certainly go there. Marilyn

      Delete
  7. Hi Marilyn. I think you are stressing over nothing with the tiles. The extraction hood - when you feel like taking it off the wall, it shouldn’t be too hard to cut through the cornice with a knife to fit the hood. Don’t stress over that one. The tiles - I don’t think they look too bad as they are. Yes, maybe the ones over the stove could go all the way up to the hood, but I wouldn’t worry too much about over the sink. Some accessories or utensils on the wall or hanging off the shelf would take away focus from the tiles. And layout - you might not be able to see all the detail in one glance, but it adds realism to the space, and makes you look closer, adds a little mystery. Any progress is progress. Just keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hug thanks Shannon for comforting noises - just what's needed right now. Think bad RL stuff getting in the way of enjoying my little things so am going to take a break for a while. Stay with me please, it is lovely to have company. Marilyn

      Delete
  8. Hello Marilyn,
    I think I have had each and every wart you mentioned in this blog. I spend month planning a room and still I make these types of mistakes. It is all part of the journey and warts will happen no matter how much you try to avoid them. The kitchen is looking beautiful. It is a shame not to see pieces as well as you would like, but we are sometimes at the mercy of the mini-space. The important thing is that it looks beautiful...even with warts.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ach Giac, hard to believe you have ever produced a single warty article but one man's wart is another man's beauty spot I guess. Thank you though for reassurance, very welcome right now. Marilyn

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.