Sunday 14 July 2019

Probably my last plants

I was looking through my stash of things to see if I had a pot for my proposed Swiss cheese plant and discovered a white rose kit which was a lovely surprise.  This led to continuing the stock check to see if I had enough vases or pots or whatever for my proposed three plants; inexorably this led to me treating myself to these.





I wanted to share this purchase in case you are looking for perfect scale, hand blown, paper-thin glass at a price you can afford.  The vendor is just the very best.  Glasscraft
Nothing here costs more than £7 ($8.80) and the cute tadpole in a jam jar at the front was all of £3.50 ($4.40)





The bon-bon dish is 'silver' with two gilded cranberry glass dishes






The perfume bottle has a removable long-stemmed perfume stopper and is incredibly dainty


apologies I put the stopper back in wonky.
With enough vases now but still no answer to the Swiss cheese plant container I decided to press on.

Ladies Mile Miniatures



as usual I added veins
wires glued to the back

I made a cardboard pot; later it was painted silver grey.  In these pictures it is at its inception with the surplus cardboard on its bottom waiting to be cut off, trim added and then painted.


When the leaves were all cut to different lengths but not yet finished, they were shoved into their proposed embryonic container and placed in the room to see if they were going to work.
chair at the front with plant at the back??
the reverse version??





The grey pot was soon discarded as it was too clunky and I found this over-size vase/pot in my things and used this.  The leaves were bent into shape and glazed with Americana triple thick brush on gloss and glaze - any pva glue will do the job.





The first decision for the final room was this




After eating a pizza and wondering what to do with the lovely little 'table' in the box the next iteration became this.

now centre front and small rocking chair added into the left hand corner

 It sits very well on its pizza box spacer, smack bang in the dormer window grabbing all the light it can.







So, on to the roses.  I have shown you a picture of the real plant first, so you can see how careful Theresa Stringer is in making her plants realistic.


Rosa x alba 'Alba Semiplena'


White rose of York

the real one
great kit as always Ladies Mile Miniatures
top
side
back
ten and and one extra

Looks best in front of the mirror .......




............. but I wanted them on this side of the hall where there was going to be a painting but I think they will be too 'busy in front of that.  I have a fetish for symmetry.

This little tweak will cost me a good amount of money as I now have to buy another Jim Coates Trumeau mirror for the other side of the hall for perfect symmetry.  The postage will cost me as much as the mirror.

My second flower was a rose.
Pink Standard Rose 'Maiden's Blush


the real one


Ladies Mile Miniatures
in process
top
side



 I loved making the buds.  The pieces for these buds/centre of the rose are cut on a sort of angle - like a child's windmill so they 'want' to overlap each other.  If you just gently roll them between your fingers they fold over each other beautifully.






A word about stamens - all flower makes start with adding a small blob of glue to one end of the paper covered wire to stop the petals being pushed off.  You need to decide if this is going to be visible or not and, if visible, what colour it needs to be painted.  In something like these roses they were not intended to be seen so they can be left like this.  The glue dries almost clear and takes on the colour of the green paper underneath so they are very subtle.





ta - dah

This story has a bit of a sad ending.  I bought these for the music room without really thinking about it and now realise they just don't look nice in there.  It proved difficult to find a place for some flowers in that room and, if I did, they really need to be yellow as the room is grey and gold, this pink just jars.  Hey ho, one for the sell-it box.


10 comments:

  1. The leafy plant is just lovely in the apartment's dormer window and the pizza table works perfectly! I think the addition of another Jim Coates mirror in the hall will balance things in a very pleasing way. If you split up the white roses into the two glasscraft vases adding some greenery to fill them out, that would be symmetrically pleasing, too.
    The pink roses are too gorgeous to sell!!! Can you not display them in the Hive? Surely you have a tall, skinny plastic cap someplace that can be transformed into a vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi. They all turned out well thanks to their maker. Assembly is a doddle. The mirror is already ordered. 🙂. Your split the roses suggestion is spot on and I will be doing that tomorrow. Thank you. I can't validate luxurious pink roses in the hive as its a scruffy work space..... nice thought thought. I have wandered all over the house with them and decided no. I am OK with it. Like much of this hobby I am more about enjoying doing it than 'owning' it. So they can move on.

      Delete
  2. They look so beautiful! I absolutely love them. You'll find a place for the pink flowers. They're so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh Sheila, you are too kind. I love it when other people like the things I like. They are very pretty but not for this house methinks. Not a problem - the fun was had in the making of them.

      Delete
  3. I am a sucker for pink roses and grow David Austen's Gertrude Jekyll in my Real Life garden and so your mini ones go straight to my heart.
    HOWEVER, I love your white ones too and I agree with Jodi's idea of splitting up your white bouquet so that it will go the distance, as the 8 stems have made a really Gorgeous full bouquet!
    I purchased a rose kit from long ago, which I recently made up and it gave me only THREE ROSES which I just managed to stretch into 4; VERY DISAPPOINTING so I shall be keeping Lady's Mile in mind for the future.
    Your new glass vases and tadpole and WONDERFUL, Marilyn!
    I love his work and went via your link to see what other tiny masterpieces he sells and OH MY... What a Talent and I want it ALL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Beale and David Austin have always been my go-to roses for fifty years plus and Getrude Jeyll is a long time favourite. She smells divine. I currently have Wollerton Old Hall, Shropshire Lad and Susan Williams-Ellis - the latter being a new one to me and is proving to be a real doer in a very shady area!! https://florilegium1.blogspot.com/

      Yeah, well done Jodi for pointing me in the right direction. I am pleased with the Lady's Mile Kits - they are good value for money and if you were talented with a paintbrush could be improved even further. Mini glass always really appeals to me just trying to fathom out places to display it. I have a feeling you won't be able to get into the dining room for 'stuff' - that's really the only room I have in this project for such things. Penalty for being greedy. M

      Delete
  4. Beautiful flowers. I love miniature glass pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Fabiola - you can buy some lovely thin well scaled glass pieces for very little money - tempting to collect them. Might need to build a mini glass shop ..... no such thing as a glass shop???? Thank you for being complimentary about the flowers too. M

      Delete
  5. Inspirational find, that pizza "table" - it's amazing what you can find when you're not really looking, isn't it? Between yours and Jonquil's lovely displays I feel I will really have to have a go at making my own flowers, they're lovely and if I do, I'll let you know! Feeling inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh, do have a bash. I really like making them. I suppose with all things its a case of each to their own and I can see if you had tons to make they might become a bit tedious but you being a gardener will get even more out of it. I said to Elizabeth even these very good kits could be improved with a judicious paintbrush if you are clever enough. The pizza table really amused me. I am not one for 'seeing a make' in somethign but this just seemed glaringly obvious - just hope most folk don't instantly recognise it for what it is.

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.