I put the first dormer together having decided to have it painted rather than bricked.
I didn't like this as it seemed to dominate the house so I rubbed down the paint and covered the surface in bricks. I thought this had gone totally the opposite way and was now too insignificant. I decided to add a window trim. You'll see the final result at the end of this post.
Now I had the prototype in place I could work on the other two dormers. Tidy up the edges of the pieces and work out how they go together to identify the walls and the roof pieces. You'll be astounded how many ways you can fit five pieces of wood together.
Paint the walls and inside roof panels white
Using the prototype work out what edges need to be painted slate colour; paint these and the tops of the roof
Glue the dormer walls together and paint the sides and edges to match the bricks. I actually changed this later and painted the sides and edges with mortar paint (with the sand in) and then over-painted it with the brick colour. I paint a little around the edges where the bricks are going to hide any imperfections.
Paint the front in mucky paint for the mortar under the brickwork.
Cut and paint the window trims
Stick bricks on the front face
Add the trims and paint inside the rebate
Glue in window frames
Glue the walls on to the main roof and then add the dormer roof sections
The end result just waiting for tiles.
This is the first build where I haven't added lead flashing. There is no particular reason other than I am trying to make my brain accept that I am making a dolls house, not a miniature. It is a case of selecting out some steps.