For those of you who follow my blog(s) and have a good memory I proffer my apologies as I am sure I must have blogged this before; but for my record of the build and for any newbies here we go ...
I think I have tried everything under the sun to make grooves for wires and have failed dismally with - lino cutter, or just using a knife, or using a rotary tool. Many people will swear by these tools and have great success with them, so don't let me put you off trying. I am just sharing what I do.
|ignore the rotary tool - I forgot how much I didn't want to use it!|
I draw a line from the hole straight to the back wall and drill an exit hole there. I then use a box knife (Stanley knife) and a steel ruler and cut a line along this mark, two or three times. I then budge the ruler a little and do the same again. I then use any of the files (any pointy ended tool would do) to gouge out the material between the cuts - it comes out very easily. These files were about three pounds from Aldi at some time so you can get them cheaply. Being files I can then go on to enlarge the channel and tidy it up using pretty much any of them. I then go over the top of the channel with a bit of sandpaper as it always raises a little ridge.