Saturday 21 October 2017

A Hunt Board for the Dining Room


A hunt-board is very similar to a sideboard but is generally taller, smaller and a simple design.  I think nowadays no-one is bothered what we call what, so most of the furniture names have become interchangeable but if you want to be pedantic, like me, 'sideboard' pieces should have different names depending on their shape and size and use and historical beginnings.  So a sideboard, credenza, buffet and huntboard are different creatures.


The reason for its name is that it was traditionally used to hold the hunt breakfast.  It therefore needed to be a light piece of furniture to move it easily to where it was required and to be taller than a table as people would be serving themselves from the dishes laid out on it.  It went on to remain in domestic dining rooms and would hold breakfast items in their chafing dishes for the same reasons.


This is the kit I bought....




This is the inspiration piece - which just confirms the house of miniatures version really


Here it is being assembled: at the beginning of the assembly, it always looks like a ton of pieces when you open the box





Nicely balanced legs.  Remember my blathering about the gel stains....I did add a seal coat but I can't see how it made any difference to what followed and it added a day to the process  to allow for drying.

I did a sort of drawer mass production for the five drawers (one off camera!)
They required a lot of sanding to get them to fit in the spaces
Remember to number them as you go, so you know which one fits which space

This sanding produces the best sort of sawdust to add to paint to fill gaps in your coving and skirting joins, et al.  Tap it onto a piece of paper from the sandpaper so you can then 'funnel' it easily into a small container.


Here is the huntboard with three coats of gel stain.  The drawer boxes are better not stained; they wouldn't have been stained in real life.  I may 'dirty them up' some time.  Don't attach the drawer fronts until you have put the knobs on.





When I added the varnish everything went to pot!  It dragged at the stain and went gloppy in places.  I had to go back over the piece in an attempt to correct the problems.  The large drawer front had to be sanded right back to basics and started again.  I don't have any explanation as to why this happened.

The photo below is to show you just how tiny the knobs and plates are for these drawers (small brass tacks and washers.  There are no spares and are so, so easy to lose.  Always work over an uncluttered work-space (no where near the edge) so if you drop one you can find it again.  I started by holding the work over my lap as I usually do for comfort and a good sight of what I am doing.  I then dropped the nail and washer as I was trying to attach it to the drawer and spent a very, very long time finding them again and even then that was more by luck than anything else.




There is a template for marking up the position of the knobs which is useful. You cut it out and place it accurately on the drawer front and mark up for the pins.  

Mark up and drill the holes with a very fine drill bit - smaller than the pins.  Add a very tiny bit of superglue gel into the hole and put the pin and washer in place and press the washer down with the tweezers until you are sure it has stuck.  Then gently tap the pins in with a hammer leaving a smidgen of a gap so it looks like a knob.  You can see that better on the photo after this one.


Annoyingly the pins are too long and need nipping off on the other side.  I don't have any pliers than can do this.




All done and dusted - well, wax- polished, actually and set in its home awaiting its 'silver' or glass.



I did like using the gel stain heaps more than the smelly spirit wood stain I have been using up 'til now.   I think the finish is marginally better too.  Probably best to not varnish it though and just wax and buff the pieces.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


When doing furniture kits you need other stuff to be going on with as each step needs an overnight drying process so even a simple piece like the hunt-board takes five or six days.  I try to find little odds and ends to get on with like this one.


I bought two inexpensive plaster pieces a while ago -  In this photo I have started to paint the base




Add caption
This is the inspiration piece - I like my £2.50 price better than the auction price shown here





New to me and very good - Humbrol acrylic water-based, bronze metallic paint




........with the stupidist lid!  If you look at the picture of the unopened pot the new design plastic pot looks like their many, many years of little metal tins of paint with a traditional paint tin lid that you lever up.  I had many goes at that without success before realising the top unscrews.  Not only is there no clue to this, but the actual join where the top splits from the pot is hidden underneath the label.  Needless to say this has since been successfully decanted into one of my little jars.


I love the end result - bronze bust of Mozart on a wooden base.  The wooden base is as simple as painting the plaster base with the (new) gel stain

....then I dropped it!


(28/08/17)
PS Luckily I didn't chuck him away in a tantrum.  I took a deep breath and short break and then I nipped off the bottom circle and he looks just fine now.




6 comments:

  1. Marilyn, the results of the hunt board and the bust are lovely and worth all the tedious problems you encountered. It’s good to see miniatures that really are very close to the real thing. I will have to try waxing miniature furniture but never know where to start, even just buying the stuff! One day....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not alone. I can't afford to keep buying and trying stuff - I need to know exactly what it is I need. Currently using Antiqwax original wax polish - but suspect is not what I should be using. I just googled 'Finishing wax' and suggest you do the same if you want to go down the 'wax' route. Ton of stuff - no idea how you choose.... Good luck. Marilyn

      Delete
  2. I love this post for so many reasons. The HOM kits are wonderful though the finish, if not done right, can ruin hours of work. Love your idea of collecting sawdust to fill in inevitable gaps that occur. Glad to hear Mozart has been repaired! "Pedantic," I confess, was not in my vocabulary. Precise, exact, meticulous, fussy. Thank you for teaching me about miniatures AND the English language!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a little star - thank you you. Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Hello Marilyn,
    The hunt board is fantastic. I love the finish you gave it...it looks so rich and has much depth. Worth every minute of work you put into it. The bust is also a fantastic piece. well done.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I am getting nearer to achieving a decent finish on these kits - taken long enough!! I love my little Mozart - cost all of £2.50 bless him. Marilyn

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.