Sunday 15 October 2017

A zillion treasures

I hope you like looking at other people's purchases.... if not, better to leave now as this will be a long haul.

Hobby's

The first three come from a company with several names!  Letter heading and site name is Hobby's - if you Google this it will come up as 'Hobby's Hobbys' and its actual company name is W. Hobby Limited.  I tell you this because there are so many companies out there that are vaguely called something around 'hobby' that it is sometimes hard to remember or re-find the one you want.  Any way here is its link:  Hobby's


The first purchase, and my reason for being there, was some 3mm strips of pine to make 'joists' for a false floor so I can get wires out the back without having to make grooves.  Great value at £5.95 and happy to see how nice and straight they all are .  Enough here for ages.






Once I am on a site I have to look round to see if I can get anything else to make the postage less painful.  So because I was spending £3.80 on shipping and handling I decided to spend £11.60 on something I had not ever thought of.  Not sure of the logic there.  If this makes up nicely it will be lovely as a side table in my dining room for the 'silver' or 'crystal.




True to form, every time I shop I have to buy a 'why-did-I-do-this' lulu.  I saw a photo of tiled wallpaper which looked like a delft blue and white and thought (as I had never seen it before) I would keep it for something....  the plan being to cut out and stick each square down as a tile and then 'glaze'..... a future splash-back maybe....  any way I am  £1.65 lighter and now own a decidedly useless bright turquoise (!!!) item.  So £3.80 postage plus £1.65 ...my saving post and packing money method really works (not).




ELF Miniatures

Here comes my next series of projects from the fandabulous ELF Miniatures

Firstly the bones of my little kitchen


a scary bag of bits
Then the extra challenges to complete the kitchen

the labels explain what they are

A lovely table and two chairs for the kitchen - the seats will change colour - probably grey.


Two little kits to make a clock and a sidboard


Here's what I hope they will look like



A couple of chairs for the sitting room - I am sure about the lovely fuzzy yellow one, not so sure about the swivel chair.  It is intended for a desk but I am not fixed on that yet.



 I invested in an already made up set of furniture for the bedroom as it was reduced.



 As always I can't capture the colours very well but this wallpaper is really nice.  I saw it originally on the Dolls House Emporium site where it is reduced right now so, presumably, on its way out.  It wasn't expensive over at ELF so I picked up a couple of pieces for the bedroom.  The green background is lovely and soft and it goes beautifully with the bed set.


I have no idea what the legal and moral ramifications are re. buying people but I am hoping it may not apply with mini resin ones.  I have decided to give my PhD student a boyfriend (the seated chap) and have converted the original children into older versions (the standing boy).  I already have the teenage girl.  The seated girl is the bonkers purchase in all this lot - I keep telling you there is always one- she is for the future-may-never-do-it project.  The logic to buying her is that I am not seeing her around a lot and any way I had already paid postage on this lot.  You may shake your head in despair.  




Maria's Fabrics

My favourite fabric vendor, without doubt, is Maria's Fabrics.  I snaffled a couple of 'just the right colour' pieces to make cushions (left) and a soft wool throw (right) for the siting room while I had them in my sight.  This will not prevent me from visiting her stall at the next show we are both at and buying some more pieces for my growing fabric collection.









(26/08/17)

12 comments:

  1. Oooh some great items! Pity about the turquoise tiles but not a very costly mistake, and the other things make up for it! The bedroom set looks great so you are already ahead I think. And love the idea of the throw from the yellow check fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon. I want to record 'bulk' buys in the blog for myself, especially as half the time they never see the light of day again! Not always sure if others want to see them. So nice to know its OK for some folk. Next week you'll get to see some actual progress maybe. M

      Delete
  2. A wonderful lot of goodies and a whole lot of fun coming getting to put those kits together! Boy am I envious, because I LOVE to make kits!!! I can't wait to see everything in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jodi...best part of the hobby for me is the actual build of the house, especially tweaking it here and there and making up kits. Even when they fail in some way, the journey there was interesting. Next week maybse some progress on a kit or two??? M

      Delete
  3. Kits are a fun way to personalize a miniature house...they are fun to build and sometimes a great challenge to change to make them fit the vision you have in your head. Loved browsing your purchases and will look forward to seeing how the kits come together for you! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alayne. I hope not to disappoint and use them well. M

      Delete
  4. Love those bedroom pieces and the wallpaper will look wonderful with them. I hope you have fun with your kits and maybe with some aging the turquoise 'tiles' will work somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the tiles become stash and some time they will become something else with luck. The bedroom pieces were reduced as there was no demand for them so that leaves you and me liking them, which is fine. Must confess finding fabric for the bedding is a bit of challenge with that wallpaper and that furniture..... I do love a challenge. M

      Delete
  5. Hi Marilyn!
    So many new minis to play with here! I'm like you in that blogging about them is a reminder that you have them AND what you had originally thought to do with them, because often good ideas can get forgotten along the way.
    LOVE the yellow chair and can't wait to see the little kitchen kits assembled and installed.
    I think that you have made some good buys even with the people! The pose of the little girl is especially nice, and the rumpled t-shirt on the teen looks good and the seated boyfriend, has feet which are both flat on the ground- all of which are plusses in my books! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth, you must spend a day in blogland catching up on all your own blog comments and then taking time to say hello to other folk - thank you for doing that. Figures in dollhouses is such a contentious issue. Many hate figures in their projects, others love 'dolls' and other creatures, others collect beautiful porcelain impeccably dressed figures, me? I am really happy having a resin figure frozen in some sort of moment as they are sort of lifelike and don't capture the eye so much as the other solutions do???? They are getting harder and harder to find and I have sold on some lovely ones in the past which I now crave- silly me. M PS I think I spotted an elegant lady on Leone's stairs

      Delete
  6. Hello Marilyn,
    Great purchases. I especially love the Elf kits...it makes me want to make something modern one day. I must say I am in love with the yellow chair...what a gorgeous piece and such a lovely color.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, so hard to envisage you making 'modern'. Your creations are truly the smells and sights and sounds and visions of an elegant past. Modern is never that evocative - just mildly interesting at best. I love it as it asks less of me and I am a neat freak. M

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.