Sunday 15 April 2018

A bit ahead of myself

I am looking for advice here and maybe folk sharing good ideas of how to 'dispose' of dolls house stuff for anyone else who is in this predicament.

I have come to a pretty firm decision not do another project after Dalton House.  I have a lot of things I still need and want to do on this project - the fourth walls which includes drapery, the electrics, finish dressing all the rooms and generally tweaking what is there. This will last a long time and will continue to feed my passion for the hobby.  I will always follow other people's wonderful creations.

This means I have quite a lot of things to get rid of.  I won't really be tackling this sort out for a while; as you can imagine I have quite a few other calls on my time before the grand purge but here are examples of stuff that needs to go.

books

box of flooring and rugs

box of odd wooden bits and bobs

some very nice fireplaces, electricals and things

all kinds of trims

large book of wallpapers

quite a few little resin people

some nice kits

This won't be the entire inventory and I may even snaffle a few bits and bobs back from them (unlikely).  How do I get rid of these and more?

The last time I gave up dollhousing I sold most of my stuff via EBay but I did find it something of a nightmare when you have a lot of things to work through and I am not particularly keen on EBay itself.

I also sold through a Blog page I set up and this was a bit better but there is still the hassle of sorting out bundles of stuff for different folks and trying to find packaging for it all and the trips to the post office etc.  Basically I don't think I want the money enough to go to the trouble of it.

I could offer it to anyone who can get here and pick it up but again I would like to shift the lot of it that way in one go and not have to go through everything to sort out the bits they want.

I did come up with the brilliant wheeze of contacting the nearest Dolls house club and see if they would take everything in one go. 

OK lads and lassies - over to you - any bright ideas?





15 comments:

  1. You could look into Etsy and selling it on there. I'm not sure what a shop on Etsy runs or what the charges would be but it's something besides Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila. I know its crackpot not to sell the stuff but I have done that a few times over the years and now feel too lazy to bother. It always seems such a lot of work for the small amount of money it achieves so pretty sure I just want to get it tomfolk who could use it.

      Delete
  2. By all means, seek out your new local dollhouse and miniature builders clubs. They would be your best source of opportunities to disperse your accumulated treasures and flotsam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nancy that's the direction I am heading in I think. That way I can just take the whole lot over to them and let me decide whatbto do with it. Nothing like making your problem someone else's problem 😊 M

      Delete
    2. Sorry, thanks to typo that didnt make much sense.... meant to say..... let them decide what to do with it....

      Delete
  3. Money certainly isn't everything and the time to package as well as the cost of posting merchandise off can be pretty steep too. I like your idea of a club buying the lot and then disposing of it amongst its members. The club here in Western Canada has done this several times at their club Peddler's Markets and it seems to work out for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't intending to sell it to a club just cart it over to them and let them divvy it up. That way it does someone a favour and clears spaces in my room and eventually alleviates the guilt of money spent and not used. You seem to have it sussed over there. My sister and her family live on Gibsons - so they are pretty far west.

      Delete
  4. Agreed re clubs. There are always tables of odds and sods at Australian mini shows where people are selling their unwanted stuff. And it’s fun to pick through when it’s someone else’s refuse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon, yeah think a club is the answer. wish someone here would organise a sort of flea market for collectors to sell off their unwanted stuff - bet it would be a big hit.

      Delete
  5. Hello Marilyn,
    I will make sure to savor every new post you put up about Dalton house's progress. If money is not a concern, I think a miniature club is a great place to find a new home for your overstock and books.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giac, As with many questions it seems a silly one now when the answer is staring me in the face. I suppose I flung it out there in case someone had some mad inspiration I hadn't thought of. As I said, I am way ahead of myself - I need to get into my room properly, tick off a ton of real life tasks, get back to 'playing' and then see what I really, really won't need any more. I think I hit the computer because I am just desperate to talk to my mini chums each week. M

      Delete
  6. You have some lovely "extras" that folks would be grateful to have! Connecting with a local mini group wouldn't be such a bad thing, either! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi. Hope I can get sorted out soon. I am itching to dress all the rooms again and unpack all my tiny things BUT my sensible self....and husband.....knows it makes more sense to wait until our floors have been done. Everything seems to take sooooo long. Minis bring out the impatient child in me. M

      Delete
  7. Yes, try to find a club or group that will take things and redistribute. Alternatively, bulletin board at community centre, or small ads in local newspaper maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It certainly looks like a club is the way to go. Sorry I can't help with any contact names though. They're going to be very lucky getting that little lot. Hopefully you wont have to wait too long before getting back to it all and "hands on" with Dalton. We need a pics fix!

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.