Thursday 14 February 2019

Bedding kit from ELF


Like the mattress, I could make a duvet and pillow set from scratch - basically three stuffed bags - but rummaging through ELF's sale I spotted a set I liked and in an inexpensive kit form.  The colours worked well in my green apartment bedroom and I wouldn't have to lug out my sewing machine or, even worse, spend the days I know I would spend trying to decide which of my zillion fabrics to use.  I dread getting that particular box out.  Roll on making curtains and blinds  ....

So, here we are with ELF's bedding kit.  Firstly the fabulously written and illustrated instructions:





Here are the components.  One duvet stitched on three sides, with a small opening to enable you to turn it to the right side and fill it.  The gap is very small and turning it to the right side is a bit fiddly - just have a little patience when you are doing it and it will happen.  There are also two pillows in the pattern fabric and the plain red.  I might make two cream pillows some time as all my real beds have two plain ones to sleep on and two to complain about and chuck on the floor every night..... but the bed looks nice.





First job is to trim all the corners diagonally to remove some of the bulk when you turn the bag to the right side.  On the pillows you don't need to trim the corners at the open edge.





Turn the bags to the right side.  Initially the corners will look like this which clearly won't do.






Use some smooth small object to help you poke out the corners into a sharper shape.  I have sewn for years so I do risk using the points of scissors but you need a gentle and practiced touch to do this without damaging the stitching.  I tried to do this as if it were my first experience of sewing so I pushed out and shaped the corners (from the inside) using the rounded end of a pair of long tweezers.  It worked just fine.  If you had a mini iron and attachments this would be a cinch to do.... more of this later.






Quite definitely iron your pieces flat making sure you pull them gently into the shape you want and that the seams are lying nicely.   A mini iron is perfect for this!!








 I wish I hadn't been so mean throughout all my dollhousing years and had invested in a mini iron; time and again I wish I had one when doing something.  Here's an example of one.  If you aren't mean like me, just Google 'mini iron' and you will be able to find them for under a tenner right through to forty or more pounds.  This is the one I would like because it has loads of attachments for doing all kinds of nifty jobs.


Image result for mini iron images






When you have the pillows turned and ironed you will need to fold in about a quarter of an inch at the top.  This is fiddly.  The only tip I can give you here is....... if, like this one you have two different fabrics (cotton and cotton/polyester) decide which is the worst one to iron and then crease in and fold the top over with that side uppermost.  So, for this project, the red side was polycotton and is a bit of a pig to get a crease in, so I folded my quarter of an inch edge over with the red side uppermost and pressed hard with a steam iron.  I then opened up the bag, turned that red edge inwards and then worked the cotton side of pillow to turn inwards the opposite way to the way it had been ironed.  I hope that doesn't sound too convoluted.  Oh how I would have liked a mini iron that would just go round round the whole inside top edge of the bag. When you have succeeded in wresting with small pieces of fabric, catch it quickly with the iron before it all springs undone and press well.  The one of the left in this photo is ready to fill, the other is awaiting three falls and a submission.






I mentioned in the previous post That I have used sand before to fill cushions and they make terrifically posable objects but mine were prone to leaking a little sand now and then if I messed about with them.  I moved on to preferring micro balls - styrene ones from a cheap plush toy from a pound shop.  The very best answer is micro beads.  They are just perfect but I am out of them right now.  Google 'no-hole glass micro beads' and you will find a ton of them at all sorts of quantities and prices.  Believe me they are the absolutely perfect solution.  They are easy to handle - the styrene ones just want to fly everywhere as they seem to be always elctrostatically charged.  With the glass micro beads just work over a tray to catch the odd rogue and you'll have it cracked and will end up with a reasonably weighted, nicely 'stuffed' cushion or pillow etc which can be pummeled and poked into all sorts of shapes to lie naturally on furniture.  Terrific for a bean bag for your little people or for smashing a dent in the top of your settee cushions which seems to be the latest (RL) fad.

Sand...... and all other fillings......  is easy peasy if you have a small funnel (three in a set, very cheap from a cookery shop).  Can also make a funnel from paper, foil, card, whatever comes to hand.  Decant the sand into something sturdier and spoon slowly into your funnel, testing all the time for the amount of filling you want by lying the pillow down and gently flattening the sand inside.




Repeat with the other pillow and the duvet and then stitch up the small gaps carefully.  Very small stitches and pulled tight.  Dress your bed.






This picture is just to show how you can lob them down so they look rumpled - took about two seconds of flinging them in place.  Simply won't do for Mrs Freaky Tidy though.  Even if my PhD student wants to live like that I can't stand to look at it, so she will jolly well have to make her bed like the rest of the household.  Actually, being French, it is more likely she would (quite rightly) leave her bed turned back neatly to air.






It's getting more and more like a bedroom.





PS:  I have just ordered a mini iron.... just now I can't think of a thing I might use it for!

8 comments:

  1. One day you'll be glad you have it. Maybe when its time for curtains?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am telling myself that. Hope so. I just thought how daft it was that every time (for five years) I did stuff like this how useful a teeny iron would be and compared to the amount I must have spent on other stuff over the years the cost is not exactly busting the bank.

      Delete
  2. The bedding looks great with the room, and thanks for the helpful tips - fabric and sewing is not my strong suit!
    One note on the Clover or whichever iron you purchased. The gap where there is no guard around the metal allows you to inadvertently get a finger in there. I have done it a couple times and the nasty burn is a flash to happen and weeks to heal.
    Also, on my model there is no good stand in which to set it down in a stable way. It's prone to rolling if bumped - again a burn or fire hazard.
    Be Careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jodi, if its possible to burn myself I surely will. There is a standing joke in this house that if I haven't burnt a hand or arm just baking a cake or cooking a dinner then it must be a bought in ready to eat item. Put me near an oven and I singe something. Thanks for the warning, not sure it will help..... marilyn

      Delete
  3. I love your bedding and I've also coveted one of those mini irons for years. Sadly, I've never seen one for sale here in South Africa. Maybe it's time I stop wishing and just order it from overseas. Using sand for filling is a great idea. I have some very tiny (1mm) glass beads that I've been using for filling and I've wondered what I'm going to use when that runs out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like me - if ordering the iron from overseas be aware which plug it has on it. I was considering asking a friend (on holiday) to bring me one from Joan Fabric's - my happy place in Naples Florida - so much cheaper than the British one I have just ordered, but then remembered I might have an issue with the two pin plug. We'll see how useful it turns out to be. I prefer the glass beads to the sand - the downside being having to pay the delivery charge when ordering something as low value as that, whereas sand is easily got. Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Hello Marilyn,
    Once again you explain every step so well. The bedding is beautiful ..I have to try the micro beads one day. I had never hear of a mini iron...added to me needs list.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giac I try to make sure I note every teeny thing I do in a process because I know when I was starting out even when I found help sometimes it wasn't detailed enough or never seemed to hit any problem. Micro beads are great for cushions and pillows, I have never used them for bedding - I think the issue with duvets is the obvious one of filling wanting to run to the lowest point all the time. I think it would best to make an proper duvet with stitched channels and then add a duvet cover - downside then would be the bulk. Dividing things down to 1/12th is always a challenge one way or another. I'll blog about the iron when I get to use it. Seems to make sense to me to have a small piece of kit when you need an iron in this game.

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.