Sunday 17 February 2019

Some more lighting details


I had no intention of blathering on any more about lighting and then I opened the pack on the light for the kitchen.

This a Heidi Ott light and, initially I thought it had come with a spare bulb


even getting it out of its packaging is a challenge




Then I remembered - Oh, No - it is one of those that you have to fiddle the bulb in yourself.  I remember a conversation with Ray Storey once, years ago, when I was buying some lights from him for my Chocolat project and he gave me the shades and the bulbs separately.  'It is dead simple - they have two pins and there is a two pin socket you just slide them in gently'.  I think it was a task I may have wept over.



one two pin socket, so so tiny



one tiny bulb with two wires for the socket currently squeezed together




Nothing for it but to give it a go.  Remove the lampshade and spend a jolly five minutes trying to adjust the two wires on the bulb to exactly the right width apart so they can 'slide gently' into the socket


yeah, success!




This one definitely needed testing after all that faddling around





This photo shows one of those foam pads I was talking about in my previous lighting post - you can see how they will make a light stand away from the ceiling - 





...........off it came and some super-glue gel was applied carefully to the inside edge just as it was about to be pulled into position.  I think I read somewhere not to use superglue near lighting - melts the plastic over the wires maybe???  So I maybe giving you rubbish tips here.  All I can say is I have made four other projects prior to this and the lights worked in all of them.  Obviously you don't apply globs of the stuff.





Having emptied the kitchen to fit the light gave me a chance to add the coffee maker and the toaster, both from Delph Miniatures.






Here we are so far, ham salad butties and coffee for two






I love Amanda Speak's work.  She is my go-to food person and has made stuff to order for me that was the bee's knees and at her ordinary prices.


I will have to have a word with her about too much fat on the ham




So, only one more room to light and I will be ready to actually get the whole house lighting set up and working.  The problem here is I can not decide what to do with this room.  This is the current position of the furniture and I have another chair, two wall lights, one standard lamp and one table lamp available to me.  I also have a large screen TV and a wall mounted fire and/or radiator that could go in.  Until I can settle on some definitive arrangement I can't add the lights.  If you see a brainwave/obvious solution in this muddle do, please, let me know.








One dilemma is that I am not sure about the table and stool at the front of the room for Annelise to do her work on - the seat is not comfy and the table is narrow and she has a table in her bedroom that she could use.  I could split them into a console table with plant and nick knacks by the window (as is) and the stool becomes a side table by the sofa to park your coffee????   I think I want a table front and centre as it creates harmony with the other two rooms when the roof is opened.




PS:  Just in case you don't read the comments at the bottom, Fran Casselman from Hobby Builders Supply came up with this handy tip should you run into a light that needs a bulb putting in.

There is a trick to it:  If you cut one wire slightly shorter than the other, then fit the longer wire into place, it helps anchor the bulb so you can position the shorter one.

I swear I had just thought of this as a possibility as the bulb slid into place, but I didn't suggest it as I hadn't tried it.  Thanks Fran.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ah, thank you Fabiola.... must start collecting stuff to dress it. I could have sworn I had a kettle - but can I find it!!

      Delete
  2. Hello Marilyn,
    I too dislike putting in bulbs. I am always afraid I will break the wires. The kitchen is looking fantastic and as for the table, I am also a big fan of front and center.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I somehow forgot to avoid buying one of those sort of lights when I bought this one. That said, light fittings are always tough to find.... real life and small world. It is one of those shopping expeditions where I wander round saying I don't know what I want but I will when I see it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for liking the kitchen - just needs lots of dressing now. The front and centre thing is a dilemma on the one hand it makes sense within the room if it were real and adds to symmetry which I love but it is also a sort of eye stopper/obstruction.

      Delete
  3. Oh I can't stand those pin bulbs! They drive me crazy! I've not purchased lights because of the type bulbs they require.

    I love how your kitchen looks so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, kirchen is still a work in progress of course. Yup..... still hate those lights.

      Delete
  4. Hi Marilyn, I am enjoying your progress as always and wanted to share a tip for changing bi-pin bulbs.

    There is a trick to it: If you cut one wire slightly shorter than the other, then fit the longer wire into place, it helps to anchor the bulb so you can position the shorter one.

    I was glad to see you showed that the shade can be removed. This is true of most fixtures, but many people do not realize it.

    Thanks for sharing; I love learning what pitfalls to avoid in tasks I haven't tackled yet!

    Fran Casselman
    fcasselman@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran. Honestly that very thought occurred to me just as the wires went in place! Not very bright of me as I had tackled this job before several times and it waited until now to pop into my head. I will add your note as a post-scrip to the post so it might help future readers. Your comment shows up as 'Anonymous' but you have signed off on it so hope its OK to post this comment. Can I just say when you comment on blogs it is better to give yourself some sort of name because one of the settings allows to blog write to exclude all comments from 'anonymous' so you may not get published- I understand why as I am currently getting half a dozen a week from some computer crawler type thing with 'anonymous' as its 'name'.

      Delete
  5. I had a bi-pin bulb burn out on me in my Arthur and it was a royal pain in the buttocks to try and get the new bulb installed into its socket. I wish I had known about Fran's neat trick of shortening one of the wires back then as it took me a VERY long time to get that task completed.
    Q.How many hands does it take to change a miniature light bulb?
    A. Any but mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in dread of that happening - working upside down, in a confined space and with limited light - sounds like such fun. I am awarding you a gold star! and noting your address for when a bulb conks out.

      Delete
  6. Una cocina preciosa. Las luces es una asignatura pendiente me da pavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sé valiente. Estoy seguro de que todo el mundo comienza así, pero son muy, muy fáciles una vez que se ponen en marcha. Mis publicaciones siempre muestran los problemas con la esperanza de que puedan ayudar a otra persona que tenga el mismo problema, no dejes que te desanimen.

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.