Saturday 9 March 2019

A bit of a spree


I  am not able to go to Miniatura on the 31st which I have been counting on doing for a year or more.  I haven't been well enough to get to a show since Miniatura October 2017 but thought I might be able to do the upcoming one.  Unfortunately my chauffeur has decided he will be skiing that week!  Poof!!

So, I went on a bit of a spree online and, over a few days, these various bits and bobs arrived.  I am sharing them because if I had been to a show I would have shared them and, just maybe, there is an idea in here for you.......



It is probably a daft idea this late in my mini 'career' to be buying a mini iron but I have wanted one for an age and being peeved about not getting to the show blew any budgeting sense out of the window.
£22 from EBay rather than £40 from Hobbycraft


This is the ironing tool I really want for the iron - I imagine it will be so useful turning teeny cushions etc.


£7 from EBay rather than £10 from Hobbycraft



This is a repeat of the light I have in the workroom in the basement, but I have fiddle-faddled around with a choice of lighting for the apartment sitting room and come up with nothing so I eventually decided on going with 'what-you-know'.  In a real life narrative it would be fine to have stuff in the apartment that is elsewhere in the house as the occupant of the flat wouldn't see the other stuff any way and I am sure wouldn't care a hoot if hers was the same.



EBay (Melody Jane) £19.94


There is just no excuse for more fabric!  ...  but .....  one piece does match the bedding


ELF Miniatures 45p and 90p




This is a stainless steel splash-back for behind the cooker hob in the apartment kitchen.  When I made the kitchen I decided I didn't want one and now I've decided I do.  Hey ho.  I love Elizabeth's real metal items, like the cooker hood which will sit above this.


ELF Miniatures 75p


This wide screen TV is to go on the media unit when its made up.  Tennis is being watched in the rec room in the basement and footy is being watched in the loft apartment.  I am not sure if either or both would be on TV on a Sunday afternoon in April??


ELF Miniatures £3




Another ELF kit - just when you thought it was all over.  I decided I needed something for the left hand wall and this is it.  Watch this space...



ELF Miniatures £7.50



Yet again I have bought a repeat.... I have this with brass legs in the formal sitting room of the ground floor of the house - it was bought as a temporary solution for that space but I grew to thinking it was OK.  I then started a hunt for a coffee table for the apartment and this is the only one I like so here it is again - this time with chrome legs.


ELF miniatures £5



I have been struggling with the notion of having some clothes on the student's bed being unpacked or sorted in some way or just strewn, (as if I am capable of 'strewing') plus I would like to use some of the fabulous hangers I bought.  I couldn't really 'get started' on how to go about it and someone suggested buying cheap dressed doll(s) on EBay and removing their clothes to use as a pattern.  I saw these and thought not only would that work, but I would also have a bunch of clothing ready made to model some way in the room..... not so sure now they are here.  This may well be a pass-along item.


EBay £25.90
I decided to buy some book covers.  If you follow this blog you will know I have made a zillion of them myself but in terms of best printing and quality/weighty paper the bought ones are decidedly better.  So, for the sake of a couple of pounds, I snaffled these to make some 'better' quality books to dot about the place.  These also have the advantage of having different individual covers rather than sets of one title. (Sixpetitfleurs Miniatures)

EBay £2.00



I have waited a while to post this as I ordered a couple of other things from an Etsy trader which sadly haven't yet arrived.  We are both being optimistic and hoping they will turn up soon.  Meanwhile this is my pseudo-Miniatura shopping done.

12 comments:

  1. What a great and useful haul! And I think a spend-up is completely justified if you can’t make it to the show. I want one of those mini irons too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon,
      I need you behind me when I am buying stuff to hit the guilt demon on its head. I hope to get to some 'sewing' soon, so will let you know how useful...... or not ...... the iron is. Marilyn

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you don't get to go to your show. I know how you feel. I might get to the one in Dallas in June but I'm out of luck for the one in Chicago.

    At least you got to have a little fun! And your purchases look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, Yeaaahhh.... what I really, really miss are the American shows I went to for so many years. They were fabulous. Always did the Florida ones because that's where we spent our winters for fifteen years. I saw the Atlanta show has just happened and remember going to that one and having such a good time. They are real events not just a shopping spree and we always stayed in the hotel they were in - how easy is that. Different game in the UK but still worth a visit now we have so few dolls house shops left. I am in Edinburgh and as far as a I know we don't have any at all. Hope to get to one in York in June. Nothing like seeing, touchy-feely, before you buy. Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Oh Marilyn! I am so disappointed for you and honestly kind of mad at whoever it was that decided skiing was still going to be fun in spite of it crushing someone's dreams! I mean, you can ski for months, but mini shows only come around so often!!!

    Ha hum. Composure...

    I am so happy that you were able to indulge in a little online shopping spree! While not as exciting as the See-Touch-Feel of a show, still enjoyable nonetheless! And best of all it ticks some things off the list so you can move ahead and have direction again!

    As previously mentioned, please be careful with that Clover. That sucker is hot and the housing is poorly designed so that your fingers want to rest right where the guard has a gap. At lease for me it is a dangerous tool!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My chauffeur is also my husband and has also managed to pick a week when my daughter and her family are away, and there are two birthdays and the 'first anniversary' of our move to Scotland, so he has been duly chastised. As long as I don't have to spend a week half way up a mountain surrounded by snow and ice I'll settle for missing Miniatura.

      Taking heed of your bilstered finger warning I thought I might strap a piece of gaffer tape across the gap as it does look like an accident waiting to happen. M

      Delete
  4. Ordering on line is the next best thing to actually attending a Show, so I am glad that you were able to console yourself by treating yourself to some miniature goodies via the mails, whilst still being mindful of your health.
    Meanwhile your mini iron is an item I've thought about off and on so I would love to hear your personal review of it once you have given it a try!
    ENJOY each of your new toys! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Online has been my only shopping outlet for eighteen months so not a huge treat but I don't normally spend a wodge in one go as I did the week I ordered this stuff, but there was no point in clinging on to cash for a show I wasn't going to get to.

      You will certainly hear about the iron when I get to use it..... you know me ...... all you wanted to know about mini irons and then some! I am already playing with the other stuff. M

      Delete
  5. Hello Marilyn,
    I am sorry to hear that you will not be able to make it to the show...how disappointing! I think a little shopping spree was very well deserved and you purchased some beautiful items. I will be looking for a mini-iron at the next show I get to go to.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I should be grateful for the very many shows I have managed to get to over the years and not bemoan missing Miniatura this Spring. As you know though it is lovely to natter to like-minded folk and find those little things you never knew you wanted until you saw them. As for the iron ...... Beware Jodi's warning about the gap in the hand protector thingy over the rod, if you do get one.

      Delete
  6. It's a shame you can't get to Miniatura - I was looking forward to a "meet" but totally agree with your on-line shopping spree. It's the sort of thing I would do too. You picked some great items. I think now that you have the iron you will find all sorts of other things to use it on. Is it really a year since you came up here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I might even have been 'brave enough' this year. I am itching to try the iron and stuff/toddler/people just keep getting in the way. Yup one year on 26th March - where does it go.....

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.