Monday 17 February 2020

Masters Miniatures

About three posts ago I confessed to having the equivalent of a shopping-at-a-show spree, but on line instead.  Since then my thinking has been....  

For a few years I was lucky enough to get to six or more shows a year, in the UK and the States.  Admittedly I did not spend lots of money each time, being on a somewhat restricted budget.  The shows in themselves were much of the pleasure and we always turned the trips into little mini breaks of a couple of days or so.  I can't get to shows any more so it seems OK to spend what I would have done there ..... plus a bit more as we aren't spending anything on travel, accommodation, meals etc;  so my initial order with Masters Miniatures became two.  I only owned one of their pieces which I bought as a bit of a treat some years ago.  The haul that follows is quite a bit beyond naughty.

That said, I think their prices are excellent for those of us who can't afford Beith, Escutcheon,Tarbena et al, all of whom are the stuff that dreams are made of.  Masters Miniatures make many fine pieces and it is lovely to have something which is that bit above the ordinary.

The box came this morning and I was truly like a kid with a new toy (or toys).  I promise you my photographs do not do them justice.  I have made them look a bit clunky and they are certainly not that.  They are dainty and their finish is excellent.  I am thrilled.



I ordered four, then two..... so yes, I have six of these.  The braid trim is a row of exquisitely teeny tassels.

This is a Canterbury and was originally designed to hold sheet music.  Perfect solution for my music room.

I have a nice House of Miniatures kit for a music stand which almost cost me what this cost but their finish is much nicer than I can achieve.  This one also has little three little brass bars in the centre, so sweet.

Same again, I have a similar HOM kit for about the same price as this but this has been made for me to just drop in place and, again, made so much better

There is a lovely inlaid top to my wine cooler

The actual finish on this wine cooler is so much better than this photograph shows.

It has perfect little hinges and even the inside is finished beautifully

My Regency square piano

I need to add a little colour over the indentation for the stick to support the lid.  

Complete with tiny castors so my little people can keep it against a wall when it's not 'in concert'

If you happen to be worrying about such dainty things arriving safely



17 comments:

  1. I love the piano forte, I can imagine one of Jane Austen's heroins playing it! You have acquired some lovely pieces. Thank you for sharing the link

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie. It really does hark back to a project I sort of started a couple of years ago. I wanted to make the Jane Austen's last house (Chawton house) and wanted a mini of the square piano from there; so I have ended up getting something like it for this late eighteenth century house

      Delete
  2. What beautiful pieces! I particularly love the chairs - the delicate carved backs are just exquisite. Also, love your reasoning for your little spending spree... that is exactly my kind of thinking.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna. I promise you this is a first (and probably the last 😊) time I will do this, but it felt so good to splurge. I think/hope we all find the level that fits us and our budget and manage to enjoy this hobby without always wishing for more. I love the wonderful museum quality pieces you see at shows but then realise you need everything else to go with those and then you become a collector; which is great if you have the funds and find the joy in collecting. In the main I like the 'doing' element of this game. As I said we all, hopefully, find our perfect niche. meanwhile I will continue to enjoy my treats.

      Delete
  3. So lovely to have a splurge once in awhile. Enjoy your beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kath, I need the validation. Wish I didn't do guilt.... I would enjoy things much more without. 😄

      Delete
  4. The excitement of receiving miniature items in the mail is uplifting especially when they are as lovely as these pieces are...enjoy them and relish the fact you are able to give them the care and home they deserve! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Alayne, that's a nice thought that they have found a good home. Large and small.

      Delete
  5. I think that you've more than justified your recent purchases, Marilyn because time, travel, food and accommodations all factor into a show spend; in fact, it's such good reasoning that I am going to use them as my mantra whenever I'm shopping online: "just think of the money I'm saving by not flying to Europe!" ;D
    but OH MY! What WONDERFUL treasures you've selected and they are indeed "Dainty"!
    The details involved with each piece especially the piano are such a Pleasure to see and I'm happy and excited for you getting to play with each of your new toys without having to wait until you get home! :D
    And given your refined sense of style and symmetry, you were wise to have made it 6 chairs which I'm assuming are for your dining room since you have the space in the room and around the table to accommodate them.
    Enjoy EVERYTHING Marilyn!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like my mini chums thinking, it so chimes with mine or at least we encourage each other into naughtiness. You seem to have spotted my obsession with symmetry, thank heaven for Georgian architecture and style they give me every excuse. I decided I will have spent the same amount buying four chairs now and two later as I will buying six now and enjoying the finished setting. There is no arguing with that logic.

      Delete
  6. It is so much fun to have fine miniatures that live up to your expectations! You chose some amazing pieces, and both you and Dalton House deserve them! I can't wait to see them all set up in their rooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi. I am still trying to convince myself I deserve such gems so every encouragement is very welcome. My rooms are all completed in terms of decorating etc and just waiting for a very few bits of furniture to finish them off. The chairs and the wine cooler mean my dining room is almost ready for visitors.

      Delete
  7. This comment came from Anna (thank you Anna) I promise I haven't started to make up comments and pretend they come from someone else - there is desperate and then again there is desperate. I somehow deleted her comment before I published it - moral of that story is: never work on a phone lying in bed. Any way I found it but it now refuses to 'post'.

    From Anna: I know exactly what you mean. I too love looking at the magnificent pieces that are well out of my reach. But I love the 'doing' part and it is something to learn from and aspire to.
    Enjoy your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh its all so lovely, I want it all and a nice big house to put it all in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Dalton House is a fair size but I worked my way up to it. My real house (if that's what you meant) only has room for one house at a time. I started this hobby in a spare bedroom (I was lucky to have that) but it was used fairly frequently so I really did workup a corner. I currently have a bedroom that is now all mine - well it also serves as a utility room so still only room for one house.

      Delete
  9. Having decided not to go to the Kensington Fair and Miniatura, I'm with you wholeheartedly on the "mini spree from home" idea. You've picked up some lovely pieces and I particularly like the chairs. It'll be nice to see them all in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think you can spend your train fare and your hotel bill on minis!!! What's not to like. No, seriously, it is lovely to do the shows and I do miss them; paying money for postage and having to know what you want rather than just finding a treasure is not the same. Big sigh, nevertheless, this was fun.

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.