Friday 7 February 2020

Oh dear

In my last post I  left you in suspense as to what I might have ordered from Proops Brothers.........


As Violet Elizabeth would say, "I'll scream and scream until I am sick"

I know you are fed up hearing about the window saga but I really thought I had it sorted. I am struggling to cut up my gazillion strips of wood that I need to make the frames.  They are only one eighth of an inch square but absolutely solid.  Knives won't do it and the saw is slow and often splits the back of them - they are really too small to try to make a cut on the opposite side each time to help avoid this.

So, I ordered this .....




..... a little guillotine meant to cut strips of wood and plastic..... I watched the youtube and everything!  It chomped through strips of wood and bits of plastic but on my window frames it barely makes a dent. 

....... but well done to the company, not the slightest quibble about a post paid return/refund.  That is impressive these days.

Just so I leave you with a little up rather than down here is what I made whilst waiting for it to arrive.

Duncan Phyfe window seat circa 1810-1820





I am a great believer in placing something to the front and centre of each room and love the challenge of finding something appropriate but nothing that will prevent us looking into the room easily when we open the front of the house.  When I am making these little worlds I do imagine myself into the rooms to see if they actually work - can I walk round them easily?  is it a room my subjects could live with and have a life in?  with this in mind it would clearly be a nonsense to have a whole side of a room without anything there (our fourth wall).  Hence the challenge.  

This  seat will do the job nicely in my music room.

10 comments:

  1. Oh dear, what a disappointment with the cutting tool. I must say, I followed the link to Proops Brothers and spotted that very same cutting tool right away. It looked so promising. What a shame it will not cut the wood strips as you had hoped.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, really disappointed. I was looking forward to ripping through at great speed.

      Delete
  2. I love the fabric you chose for the window seat! Beautiful! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is one of my many pieces of various shades of gold silk. Think I might give up minis and become a fabric collector. There must be a fancy latin word for it.

      Delete
  3. Oh that is sad. It seemed like it would work wonderfully. At least you know you've got a good company should you need anything else from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel guilty so I keep trawling the site in hopes I can buy something from them to make up for it.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry that the cutting machine did not do the job you had hoped. I know the disappointment, especially after waiting for something to be delivered. I would suggest putting some masking tape around the wood where you cut to prevent the splitting. I haven't honestly tried this with my miter box and Zona saw, but it works wonders when using my mini table saw, so maybe worth a try. Thanks for the link nonetheless - it was fun to poke around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tape tip. Seems a logical solution but most of the pieces are about an inch and the trim is one eighth inch square and there are very many of them so I am probably too lazy. I just want them done by magic. I am living in hopes of a repeat of the little cobbler story only my elf would cut wood.

      Delete
  5. That's so disappointing especially when waiting with great anticipation on the "magic gadget"! Lovely window seat - a really nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeedy. I really thought I had sorted the strip cutting challenge so I was a bit fed up when it didn't work. I do like the window seat. It is a really dainty piece when its in the room. The fabric is unexciting but that was a deliberate thought as I don't want it to be to exciting and stop you looking into the room.

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.