Saturday, 19 March 2016

Trims added

I have got the trims added ready to start the bricks.




This trim was a slightly warped very thick piece of wood so it needed to be clamped on while the glue dried overnight.  I apply my favourite Deluxe glue that I keep mentioning (R/C Modellers Craft Glue) and let it set up a little - just a couple of seconds.  While that's happening I add a few drops of Superglue Gel (only use the gel sort, not the ordinary Superglue, this way you have control of the stuff).  Superglue pulls the surfaces together quickly so they are in good contact while the rest of the glue dries.





The doorway and the basement areas are not fixed and won't be until the bricks are finished.  I have also added a further much narrower trim across the house walls at ground floor level.



The door was a pig to do.  I had a horrible time just painting it.  I tried gloss acrylic - too shiny!  I tried silk acrylic - too matt!  In the end after three coats of messing about and rubbing down in between I applied a silk water based (B & Q) varnish over the remaining black paint which seems about right.  Sounds like a Goldilocks story.

You probably figured this is the outside as it has a door-knocker.  It also has the traditional large Georgian centre knob and a 'modern' Yale lock.  It may never have a letterbox - some listed buildings aren't allowed them as the original would not have had one.  I may get tempted if I see a nice one though.  It needs to have a back flap for the inside of the door (draught stopper)otherwise I will have to cut a hole through. 





On the inside there is the reverse of the Yale lock and, instead of a large bolt, it has a modern version of the traditional Georgian door lock.  This is locked at night.  Both locks have the other halves of the locks to go in the door trim when it is applied. The large deadlock will have a keyhole on the outside of the door when I can find a suitable escutcheon.






This is a 'shim' which was needed to get the door to fit properly.  Not as simple as just a strip of wood.  There was much filing and scribing and shaping to fill the gap.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely attention to even the smallest detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Not called Mrs Pernickity for nothing. Trouble is when you get silly fussy nothing is ever perfect so you are never completely happy with what you've done. I keep on keeping on and do get a bit better on each build.

      Delete
  2. That's the first time, I think, that we've seen the whole frontage of this property and it's looking good. I'm really keen to see it with it's bricks now and the work done on your front door has been well worth it - it looks very sharp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, In truth I think the front door is a bit scabby still but I have an excuse - she bought a grade two listed house so had to re-use the original door - best you can do with a door a couple of hundred years old. In real life the bricks are done but you only get real life in small digestible snippets here in the blog. Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Hi Marilyn, Like Irene, I too am impressed with the facade of the building and the trims that you have installed thus far. I find that it is always those extra bits of wood trims that make a dollhouse look less like one and more like a real home.
    The brickwork will be Tedious to do, But since I'M not doing it I know that it will look Spectacular once you've finally completed it. :D
    I love the door and the knob in the center but most of all I love the LOCKS! They look wonderful against the black paint and although you had to adjust the finished sheen on the door, it appears to look like the Perfect Black in the photos. Well done EM! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. I am cracking on with this now and am beginning to see the story come together at last. The heroine of this project is called Elizabeth:D Marilyn

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete