Monday 24 June 2019

Calculating what you need for electrics

Apologies to my regulars who have heard some of this several times but for the benefit of a first time visitor it bears repeating.  Also, I am  trying to get all my electrical instructions in one place at last.

Round wire v. copper strip.....  there is no right choice here: use the system you feel comfortable with.  I use the round wire system because when I was doing my first project I was told by a super nice, knowledgeable chap that copper/tape wiring can have more problems if you intend to keep the house a long time.  The wires can deteriorate over time especially if they are covered in wallpaper paste and acid wallpaper.  You may not make good soldered connections so they too can be a weak point. sometimes if you move a house it can also break the wires.  If the whole lot 'blows' it is often hard to track the fault.  I am absolutely sure there are many people people who would refute this and wouldn't use round wire systems but that's how I arrived at my choice.


So, using the round wire system.......Most lights come with a two pin plug on the end of a wire which eventually, after weaving its way through your project, will exit and want to be plugged into one of these power strips.  That is then connected to a transformer then to your wall socket/electrical supply and you are good to go.





Reasons I don't use them....



  • This strip will take twelve lights so on a large build you may need several of these. 
  • I absolutely hate removing the little plugs on the lights to get the wires through the exit holes and then struggling to get them back on again on the other side
  • They are a fair size and if you use several of them it is cumbersome
  • The cheaper ones are notoriously unreliable
The power strip I use looks like this.... you can get it from Little Houses Plus and Small World Products


SWP Easy-Wire system Power Centre

Reasons I like it...

  • This strip will take about 85 bulbs (note that's bulbs, not lights) so it has at least four or five times the capacity of the white plastic power strip
  • No messing about with the fiddly plugs, the wires just go straight into the terminals
  • It is smaller than one of the plastic strips and, for example, I would need two of those for this project
  • It is well made and reliable.  It has at least a fifteen year life and can even be repaired if needs be 
  • The terminals are numbered so you can make a list of what light has gone where
  • You can easily attach flickering light power strips if you want flickering candle light or firelight
  • They come in several capacities so there will always be one for your project
  • There are ones with switches for each pair of terminals, so you can control areas of your build - lights on in any place you like while others are off if you want to
This power strip takes all the wires from your lights and then connects them to a transformer.





Your transformer needs to be 'large' enough capacity for the amount of lights you have.  Generally speaking a 3 amp, 12 volt transformer like this one will do for most people.  A well lit large project made need more Amps and therefore a larger transformer.

This is how you calculate what you will need for both of these units.

You need to know how many bulbs you have (not how many lights and fires you have) so if you have a grand twelve candle chandelier you set off with twelve and so on.  In a perfect world you should know how many bulbs screw in and how many push in.  I do think this is unrealistic and have never bothered calculating that accurately and have just gone for overkill.

A push in bulb uses 0.05 Amps and a screw in bulb uses 0.07 Amps.  So for this project I have 44 bulbs and if they were all screw in bulbs I would need a transformer able to cope with 3.08 Amps.  If all my bulbs were push in bulbs I would need something to cover 2.2 Amps.  As I have an unknown mix of these bulbs I am confident my 3 Amp transformer will be large enough.

As my bulbs add up to roughly 3 Amps I also need to change the fuse in the power strip as that is only a 2 Amp fuse.  That would cover roughly 34 bulbs.

OK - now I have blinded you with science and put you off for life let me just say you can just dive in and follow the instructions that come with your power strip and keep your life much simpler.  Here's the simple approach ......It says you can add up to 80 bulbs to the strip, as many as ten wires in each hole.  Work  out your amps by calculating 1 Amp for every 17 bulbs and you have it covered, change the fuse if you need to and you are good to go..



I have no intention, with this many wires, of rationalising and tidying them all up at the back of the house as I have done the past.  They will simply be taken to the power strip willy-nilly and eventually I will get a piece of thin ply cut and painted and fasten it to the back with magnets at each corner and all the wiring will be hidden in the wooden sandwich.

You will usually need some extra wire 





and some heat shrink tubing 






because some wires will need extending so they can reach your power strip.  I don't solder them!

I also have some lovely snips which cut wires neatly and strip the annoying plastic covering to expose the wire, so preventing tooth and nail loss and lots of cursing.  Invest if you can.


Come back tomorrow to see this lot in action



7 comments:

  1. Oooohhh… Now I'm going to be ordering those power strips. Drives me crazy the limitations the other ones have. It's why half my houses end up on 9volt battery lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, I did my first project using the usual white plastic thingies and wrote an article for Dolls House and Miniature Scene magazine about how frustrating I found it. Martin Butler - they guy who invented the power strip I now favour contacted me and sent me a load of gubbings to try!! I was converted instantly. So, this is the fourth project I am using it on and am happy to do so. Hope you like them too.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial. Just what I was looking for as I begin wiring my radio box house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Troy, Thank you for telling me. I am always so pleased when someone can find something helpful in my posts. Tomorrow will be a piece on the white plastic strip system I used on my Wentworth build, the day after will be a piece about the small world power strip that I used on my Chocolat project. I hope that the day after that will be a catch up showing the finished result on my current Dalton House project. Between them all and my You-Tube video you should have enough to go at. I always think loads of information is good even if it lets you see stuff you decided not to do. 😊 Huge thanks for leaving a message. I love to see comments from folk.

      Delete
    2. Oh Wow, I just went over to your blog - I have no idea how I could add a grain of sand to your knowledge, your work is fabulous.

      Delete
  3. Hi, I've only just discovered your blog - perfect timing! I've been fitting my lights over several weeks (er...months....) but apart from checking that they work before installation I haven't got as far as wrestling with the control panel to run them. I have a couple of the white plastic strips, but actually saw a brief presentation by Martin Butler at a Miniatura and really wanted to try his system. Your notes and advice are absolutely invaluable - I'm going to take the plunge and order the bits I need. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience - I'm going to be checking out lots of your earlier blogs to see what else I can learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katy and welcome. Hope this does help you. I do believe to some extent we all find our own way to go about things so don't take my opinion as gospel. I hope you find the Small World power strips a (slightly) less frustrating method than the white plastic strips. I think if you have a lot of wires to deal with it is the sensible way to go. It will annoy and frustrate you I am sure - it is the nature of the job but do a bit a day before you get to the stage of chucking something up the wall and quitting and very soon it will be finished and your house lit forever!! If you are looking for how-to's this last blog of mine - Dalton House has followed the build from day one, every step of the way so there is stuff on just about everything. Use the labels/links in the left hand column to find something specific. There is also a link to some very rocky home-made YouTube videos I did to show some of the processes if you are a more visual person. Whatever you do, lots of luck and fun and please leave a comment as often as you like it is nice to know people are using this stuff.

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.