Sunday 23 June 2019

Last (but one!) lap on the lighting



I am very proud of me:  I actually did what I said and finished putting in the last of my lights today.  I seem to have saved up one ceiling light, four table lamps and one standard lamp.

Here's a quick review of putting in a ceiling light - they are the easiest ones to do.  Just make sure you know exactly where you want it in the room and measure carefully or even better make a template.  If I want one in an 'odd' place I make a template of the floor - sounds 'posh' - all I mean is cut a piece of paper to fit the floor.  I, then, position furniture on it and mark where I would the ceiling light to go.  This is useful for a light over a dining table for example.  I then take the template upstairs to the floor above and make sure it is lined up with the front edges and  the side edges of the room below and make a mark through the paper where I want to drill the hole for the light.

If you have room in your tool storage area this is a convenient way to keep your drill bits




Always cut off any straggly exposed wires, they are a pain to thread through holes




It is much easier with a fairly rigid piece of wire.




I normally apply a little superglue (it must be the gel version) with a cocktail stick to the back of the light fitting; this is short cutting it.  I also usually remove the sticky tabs lights that come with most lights and put the glue on the rim  I don't like how they stick out from the ceiling and they don't have very strong glue on them.  This one was very thin, didn't show,  so I just left it in place




Pull wires through gently and get it in position preferably in one go.  Make sure if there is a wire exit hole on your light it is at the back so it can't be seen.  A helper here is handy - press and hold in place until the glue 'takes'.




Every time I mess about with a light I test it just to check it is OK




This is easily done by stripping the wires again and holding on each terminal of a 9 volt battery


If you want even more detailed explanations of putting in lights - showing grooves in the floors etc just click on the 'Lighting' label on the left and there is probably a ton of stuff there.  I think I did a video too so just go over to You-tube if you want.  There is a link for that too.

So the ceiling light is done, now over to the lamps.

A while ago I asked the Brilliant Kath at Delph Miniatures if she could let me have some of her plug sockets that she uses for her electrical appliances as I wanted to drill a hole through them so I could take wires from lamps through the wall behind so making it look as though the lamp is plugged in.  She not only did that but also drilled the holes for me.  They are even drilled at an angle - sloping - so the cord lies realistically down the wall.  She went on to make them for general sale - so you can get them if you want them.  Here's the link to that page on her site.  Delph Miniatures


Here's how they go in.


the socket with a hole


wire threaded though


hole drilled in wall and socket in place


other side of wall


eh voila - one plugged in lamp

Here are my finished lamps.







Stand back and admire, because when I re-dress the rooms not one of them will actually be seen!!!  This is when we know mini people are completely nuts.

So what was all the fuss about.  In less than a couple of hours including a tea break, they were done and dusted.  I think I have broken my duck now on 'not working on Dalton' and I can't wait to tackle the actual putting in the leccy tomorrow:







12 comments:

  1. Don’t you hate it when you put something off and put something off and then you do it and it wasn’t so hard? Then you wonder why you didn’t just do it ages ago. Sigh. Still, it is done and looks great. Keep going and finish it off tomorrow while you are on a roll! And although the sockets/plugs might not be obvious, they are still there, and some will peek out from behind furniture to add a little extra detail. Worth the effort I think! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - you would think at my ripe old age I should know better. It isn't a difficult job, just fiddly and can bring out my impatience like no other. I find making minis very soothing and go to a happy place when doing it, with the exception of trying to fiddle wires through diddly holes whilst standing on my head.

      Delete
  2. BRILLIANT results, Marilyn!!! The plugs looks PERFECT and you must feel chuffed to have not only have tackled and completed a dreaded project but have pushed past you "stuck-ness" and are ready for more- Way to Go YOU!
    :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, most pleased by being able to step back into the game - so worth every cuss and moan along the way. I love those plugs and am so proud to have 'invented' them.

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what you mean! I have to have realism in my minis, even if no one will notice them but me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fools to ourselves, Sheila. I have no audience for my project no-one I know has the slightest interest in it. It resides in my workroom so is not even seen 'in passing' by any soul and even if it were i am certain no-one would care whether the lamp wires had plugs on them. All that said I couldn't do it any other way. I am not especially interested in dolls houses as such but I have always loved miniatures of any kind when they are well made and realistic.

      Delete
  4. Nice form, Marilyn! Sometimes getting started is the hardest part and you've proven that to be true! Congrats on pushing past this annoying block so that you can get back to the fun parts!

    One word of caution because I learned the hard way. The inexpensive 3 volt LED lights from China do not like to be tested on 9 volt or AAA batteries. They complain by not working any longer. Maybe this can save someone from the hard lesson themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cripes Jodi, I have been lucky there - I had no idea about blowing a bulb using a battery.... I wonder why? Thanks for that note of caution I will try to remember to add it in to my next demo post. Just got home from running round doing chores and expect to be out again in another couple of hours but am all mini fired up now so intend to get something done.

      Delete
  5. I think they look fantastic. I just love your blogs and videos, they keep me going, they are my bible when I want to start a new project. I installed copper tape in my dolls house, thought it was fine until we moved home and connections between floors etc in my dolls house were broken. So back to the drawing board. Your new blogs have just come at the perfect time for me as I was determined to sort this out once and for all. Your wealth of knowledge has been invaluable and going back over the years of your different projects have given me many happy hours of reading. Especially when I have not been able to sleep at night lol . Sorry for the long post but I have not commented before but thought I should let you know how much I have enjoyed all your hard work.
    Best regards
    Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Judy, that's lovely thank you. I do know most people don't like to leave a comment but I can see from the stats that my blogs are read quite a lot so I always live in hopes they are working for someone now and then. It is just lovely when I hear they are a help. They are my own diary and reference backwards and forwards for things but they are also very deliberately written to help anyone trying to figure out something that I may have already figured out. As for lighting, most of us find it a challenge for all sorts of reasons but projects just come to life with a little judicious lighting. I was talked out of using the copper tape method right at the start of my coming into this hobby - the arguments being it can deteriorate under 'acid' wallpaper, connections can snap if the house is moved and its hard to find where a fault is if it does die. That said oodles of folk use it and are very content. I just use the round wire method in hopes it alleviates these issues. I will be posting over the next few days as I tackle it again for this house. Please do leave a hello when you can it is always rewarding to get feed back of any sort. I also have an email address on the blog so email if its something you want to ask/discuss at length.

      Delete
  6. Great work! The lamps and lights are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fabiola, so happy you are still with me during this not so interesting or pretty section. Hang on in there. Soon be over..... hopefully

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.