Tuesday, 28 July 2015

Visualising volume

I have no idea if there is any other person out there, besides me, who has no concept of volume but just in case, I thought I would share this.

Some days ago I bought three paint testers to do my wood trims and doors.  The pots are this size:




I reckoned three would do it all.  I did check the label to see how much was in them because I was working out the price of those versus the smallest (large) tin that the paint comes in.  These contain 50ml.

Obviously the price was extortionate per ml compared to a proper tin but it was still false economy to buy the big one when I would never use it any way.  I am not sure now where the break-even point came - I think you could only buy five of these before matching the price of the whopper so I stuck with my three knowing I had 'overpaid' but still hadn't spent the another five pounds (or so?) on paint which would just be chucked away at some point.

I opened them today and this is what 50ml looks like:




....  well under half of the pot!  My other half immediately, of course, said, "Well you didn't think a pot that size was 50ml did you?"  Well, yes, actually, I did.  How am I supposed to know what 50ml looks like?  If I buy a pot or jar of anything I don't expect it to be half full; what's so different about paint?


4 comments:

  1. Good grief! I ordered a whole load of samples from the Cuprinol website but mine aren't in "paint pots", they are in little plastic trays! I will try to remember to take some photos to show you. I can't remember how many mls the samples are but I thought they would be good for small bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very odd - why are mine in pots and yours in trays? Curioser and curioser, said Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it very much depends on the company providing the samples. Most I've had are full and do do a fair amount of miniature painting for about £2. I've used various sample pots and never seen them as bad as yours.

    I have been told by a couple of ladies at my club that Wickes own brand sample pots are really good. Very smooth and cover well so go a long way. Not tried them myself though as Wickes is a bit of a trek for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks Jennifer. How nice to see a new face. I am off to measure 50 ml of water and compare. There may well be 50 ml in there but the pot is certainly misleading!!

    ReplyDelete