Thursday 21 May 2015

Something to go on the floors

I am having a hard time finding large rugs for this build.  I still haven't got one (or two) for the 21" x 15" (53 x 38 cms) that is the drawing room.  Ideally I would like a large one for about two thirds of the room and a matching runner for the other third but right now I would settle for just about anything.

A fellow blogger pointed me in the direction of My Tiny World.  The name was familiar but not sure if I have ever shopped there.

So far, so good.... nice rugs, good price, fast service.


My Tiny World
One of the large ones is for the parlour and the other for the dining room.  The smaller rug and runner is just the right size for the library.

These are the ubiquitous Turkish woven rugs you see around but, as I said, in this case in a good size and of the right period.  I like the thickness of the material - some can be over fuzzy.  They look fine for a thick modern rug but not for nineteenth century carpets, some of which may have been around a lot longer, they need to be thin and flat.

These may well get the coffee stain treatment to calm the colours down a little and the fringes removed.  Maybe I could do what the Georgians spent hours of every day avoiding doing and leave them out in the sun to fade a little.

Reading the Susanna Whatman book, she is nigh on obsessed with the sun not touching any fabric or furniture in the house.  There was a precisely timed schedule for the housemaid to close blinds in various rooms in turn as the sun reached them.  Not as mad as it sounds if you were dealing with 'natural' dyes which change easily in light, natural fabrics such as cotton and silk which deteriorate with sunlight and polished furniture in high-priced wood.  Indeed all these things were of disproportionately high value compared to the things we own and they were generational not just meant to last five minutes until we wander round John Lewis or Ikea again.

My grandmother certainly adhered to the same constraints and my mother did too with the things she prized.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.